Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Studying again

While I was in China, I learned that another teacher from Brisbane had started to do her Master of Arts (Writing) through Swinburne University in Victoria. I've been writing for a long time - a very long time without getting anything published.  

I thought that if I focused on writing, as one will have to do, studying for a Masters in Writing, it may get me through the invisible barrier that seems to stop me from finishing, or submitting work.

And so it was that some 14 weeks ago, I completed the documentation, had copies of my Griffith University results and posted them off to Swinburne.  Soon after I received the letter advising me that I had been accepted.

My friend CD, who had told me about the course, had not made it clear to me that it would be best to enrol through Open University - I found out about that later, and have now enrolled via Open University, but that will not come into effect until the new semester in 2011.  

As I write this, I have all but completed the first three subjects (and I don't recommend doing three at a time, but somehow I enrolled in three - I thought I'd only enrolled in two!) but luckily I've managed to do them all.

I still have one major assignment to complete and three smaller ones to do and all is over for the semester.

The three subjects this semester are Critical Friends, Research to Publication, and Real Life Writing.

Results are due out around December 11th.  

The students doing the course are from Australia and other parts of the world - easy to do as it is all online.  I did get a parcel of information (mainly CD's) at the beginning of the semester, but most of the material is all accessible from my computer - it is all online, which means students from all around the world can participate in real time. 

I've studied online before - and as I did my degree via distance education.  I don't mind working this way, but I do enjoy meeting up with other students.  On this course it is via weekly only discussions.  We post and comment at times to suit ourselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment